Thursday, July 21, 2011

I am Penguin...see me run!

I was reflecting on some of the factors that have gotten me as far as I've come with my running. One of those factors would be joining the Dick Pond Walk2Run group. The camaraderie of being with other people that are going through the same thing makes it so much easier to pour into my spandex and lace up the running shoes. And hey, the technical shirt I'll get after attending for seven times doesn't hurt!

Another thing that has kept me going was learning more about John "The Penguin" Bingham and reading his book Running for Mortals. Most of the running books out there are for "true" runners, and focus more in getting their 7 minute mile down to 6 minutes. When your best mile time to date is 12:59, then yeah, those books aren't for you. John's book was so realistic, and said many of the things that I was thinking. I'm glad I have it on my Kindle, so I can keep referring back to it.

One last factor would be the support of my friends and family. They've listened to me drone on (and on, and on...) about Weight Watchers, and my new found love of running. They've supported me when I've struggled, and cheered me on at the races I've done. There is nothing better to get you running for that finish line than seeing your supporters cheering you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment