Saturday, February 5, 2011

Feeling inferior

I'm kind of freaking out right now...yesterday I signed up for the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K in Chicago on April 10, 2011. What the hell was I thinking???? I'm nowhere near ready for that, and I'm so scared I won't be ready for it by then. I'm trying to calm myself by noting that I have over 10 weeks before the race, so there is still time for me to get running more. I know I can walk part of it, but I want to run most of it. Plus I have to finish in 1 hr 15 minutes. Right now I'm about a 17 minute mile, when I walk and jog it. I've got to improve my time.

My mom and I went to a local runner's store today since I've been having a lot of arch pain when I run/walk. Wow, did I feel out of place! It's like a whole different culture, and I'm on the outside looking in. They had things in there for runners that I never would have even thought of, and stuff for things I don't want to think about (hello chafing!). I hope some day I can go in there and feel like one of them. I did find out they have a Walk2Run program that will start up in April, right before the 8K. I think I'll look into joining that. It'll be nice to meet people on the same journey. And, on the upside, I got a great pair of running shoes (thanks Mom!). I tried them out tonight, and my feet feel a lot better. Plus, I felt like I could run longer. They'll get broken in tomorrow when I start Week 4, Day 1.

Oh, and on a happy note - I can wear a pair of size 12 jeans now =D!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment