Thursday, September 29, 2016

Less than two weeks to go...

So why haven't I started to get excited yet? On October 9th I'll run my sixth marathon, with this being my fourth Chicago Marathon. Usually at this point I'm obsessively checking the weather, and coordinating the events of the weekend with friends and family. This year it just feels like another long run.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still in shock that my legs can carry me that far, and it's an honor to raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities. But training hasn't gone that well, and I'm dealing with a brand-new foot pain issue. So now I have to wait until I see the doctor to find out what's going on.

Maybe this mood is because I really feel like this will be my last marathon...at least for a couple of years. I had a vision in my head of this being the best marathon experience to date. We were going to stay down at one of my favorite hotels, enjoy a great meal that evening after running, and I'd see lots of people I know on the course. Now it's morphed in to driving down early that morning, and heading back home after I finish.

I just need to take a step back, recollect myself, and lower my expectations. I also need to remember that I'm able to do something that many may only dream of doing. It's never easy, and it'll hurt. But I'm determined to run smart and finish strong.

1 comment: